Monday, October 02, 2006

The best song for the road I've ever heard. OR A disaster in my mind. OR Is there anyone there named Victor?


So I am driving into Illinois for the first time in 5 weeks. I just ended speaking at a youth retreat in Owensboro Kentucky and I am smelling from not having showers for two days, tired from sleeping on an air mattress for two days, and I have to go to the bathroom really, really bad.

All sorts of things are coming in and out of my mind.

I am thinking about going to Africa. My dream really-and perhaps my calling. We'll see.

I am thinking about the sadness and joy I equally feel in knowing that Eric and Katie are moving to Fairfield. I am happy that they will be going to a supportive place, but sad that I can't take off any weekend I want anymore to head down and visit them and simply laugh and enjoy thier friendship. Soon they won't just be in Fairfield, but far far away in foreign lands.

I am thinking about when Jim will finally be reunited with the Dunder-Mifflin Scranton team again via branch absorption.

I am thinking about God's will in general for us Christians in America, and how screwed up our view of it may actually be.
Or at least my view of it.

I am thinking about how good it was to hang out with Victor and Samantha for the weekend at the retreat...an unexpected surprise.

And I am listening to "Illinois" by Sufjan Stevens in honor of my return to God's country. And I am realizing that "Chicago" is the best road song I've ever heard, and that the line "I've made alot of mistakes..." is the most honest line sung in my car.

And I am anxious to see family and friends, if only for a few hours.

peace out,
hersch

4 comments:

NFB in NYC said...

beautiful...

but seriously...now shower for 2 days?

Dena G said...

It was good to see you, Hersch. Even though I know we "converse" more via blog than actual spoken conversation (why IS that, anyway?)

You've finally convinced me. Actually, you and someone I've never met who has a Sufjan Stevens song playing on their MySpace page...I'm going to give him a try.

(And the word is "absorption", btw). ;-)

Jules said...

we totally miss you up here, man.

Geoff said...

One of my fondest memories of riding in the car and listening to music happened on my way back from a youth retreat with a car full of smelly teenagers and dirty clothes. After I'd reached the point where I was about to pull my hair out or watch my head explode in the rear view mirror from listening to an hour of giggly teenage girls, high school gossip, and ever-growing fish stories, I put in a Jars of Clay CD, hit repeat, and listened to the same song for 45 minutes.

Over and over my heart and mind were soothed my the simply, yet strikingly powerful lyrics and the melodic harmony of the music.

"Jesus love, never failed me yet, never failed me yet, never failed me yet. Jesus love, never failed me yet. This one thing I know, that he loves me so. Jesus love never failed me yet, never failed me yet, never failed me yet."