Thursday, September 14, 2006

thoughts from Chapel...


In my life I have sown seeds of lust, laziness, bitterness, and loneliness. I have planted these seeds from my youth through the present. I continue to reap the consequences because I have failed to pull up these "weeds" by the roots. Perhaps I have failed to allow God to pull them.

So how do I do that?

How does one pull roots of lust from their life? Or bitterness? Or any of those?

I have this beautiful picture in my head. I am my Grandfather's garden. The time has come again for him to plant all his favorite vegetables; tomatoes, corn, lettuce, peppers, etc. But first he must ready the ground. He gets out his old beat up tiller and cranks it up. He takes the machine and begins to rip through my hard soil. The blades break up the ground and rip through all the grass and weeds that have grown in throughout the year. The blades tear through the roots left there from years gone by to clear the way for the new life about to spring forth. He plants row after row of vegetables.

Day after day, week after week he comes and cleans each row of unwanted weeds by pulling them up, root and all. By the end of the season, he is left with only the best vegetables for eating.

How does my relationship with God become more like that?




My soul is in need of tilling.

peace out,
hersch

4 comments:

Joshua Longbrake said...

thanks for the link.

Jules said...

um, good stuff

Cheryl said...

and you're back - that's the stuff that stirs hearts - thanks for sharing your gift

Dena G said...

"Plowing the row makes it outshine the field..."--a favorite line from a favorite song.

I've learned the hard way that, if I try to yank those weeds up myself, all I succeed in doing is breaking off the tops so that my garden looks all good and pretty on the surface, but those nasty roots are still there, sinking deeper and growing stronger.

We're not the gardeners, Hersch...only the Lord can till the soil of our hearts down to the depths needed to weed out the roots of sin. Sometimes it takes a lot of tilling...and a lot of rain to soften the hard earth of our hearts. But in the end, we yield a beautiful crop.

I want to be that kind of soil, too...someday the tilling will be done and (I hope) my garden will be beautiful.

Praying for you. I've missed your words of wisdom. :-)