Sunday, September 10, 2006

I think...

I'm pretty sure I am done with the whole MEGACHURCH thing...I mean...come on...

I tried it. I went expecting that I probably wouldn't like it and that that was probably a bad attitude to have, so I resolved to at least pray to the Holy Spirit to help me worship in spite of my poor attitude.

I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but during the morning service, something just felt off. Something was missing. As I was walking out to my car after church was over, it hit me what it was. Jesus.

Was He even mentioned? He had to have been right? Nope.

I did learn how to be a good father and how cool this church is that had pizza for 900 college students. AWESOME DUDE!

So I tried it again tonight. A different praise band, different speaker, different attitude. I was totally determined to dislike this church now. I just couldn't dislike it without giving it it's fair shot.

Was Jesus there this time? Well, I think they tried to hide Him again behind yet another sermon about being a father.(Is that really supposed to be my number one goal--to be a good father?)(do I have any kids even?) Jesus did make Himself known though, He had to try really hard but He broke through. Thank Him for that-I almost walked out.

Now I am probably being a little too hard and I have been a little lonely this week so I am extra cynical. I think I can see why people DO like megachurches though. It's like McDonalds. You drive up, go in and you order your dose of family friendly sermon, 3.5 songs semi-related to following Jesus(but cool enough to not say His name), then you leave and have no commitment to make. I mean, who would notice you in a crowd of 8000 people. No one to hassel you about helping out at a dinner, or to work at VBS, or whatever.

I'm sorry. This is too cynical, but perhaps a little true? Maybe. Jesus can and does work through these churches. I'm not saying He doesn't. I am saying that I don't think my place is there. That's just me.

peace out,
hersch

2 comments:

Amy said...

I agree with you that megachurches are easy places to hide. I guess it doesn't have to be that way...you could get involved IF YOU WANT TO. Or, you can just sit back and be entertained (which is what I think they kind of do). Could be a good way to get non-Christians to come to church, but probably doesn't allow for much personal growth.

Geoff said...

Well Herschel, your cynicism has brought another cynic out of the closet and into action. Yeah, this is actually the first time I have ever posted a comment on a blog. I guess I am just in the dark ages, straining to keep up with the evolutionary progression of everyone else (Yeah for me, I just started walking upright a couple of weeks ago and the last of my tail finally dropped off.) So in an attempt to at least make it look like I am not living in the late 90's, I am posting on your blog. From one cynic to another. Anyway, on to my actual comment...

I wouldn't consider myself an apologist for megachurches. I'm not. Some criticisms are justified. Your criticism is probably justified. But the truth is, your criticisms are just as true in many, if not most, small churches as they are in a lot of megachurches. I think we need to be careful not to lump all big churches into our stereotype of not being about Jesus, not discipling, etc. any more than we can lump all small churches (like the one you went to Sunday that you raved about) into the stereotype of being stuck in the mud, never getting out of the pew, refusing to change, grow, and reach people. The generalization is not fair or accurate.

Once again, I'm not a megachurch apologist, but I think they get a bad rap sometimes. I went to a worship service at Willow Creek (well known megachurch in Chicago) earlier this year and the worship was more alive and helped me connect with God more than any worship service I have been to in 2 or 3 years. It was awesome. As far as the participation and discipleship thing goes... though I have no doubt that a lot of people at Willow Creek or Saddleback (big church in California) or wherever blend in with the woodwork and never do much of anything (which is true of churches of all sizes), they have thousands of people who are truly committed to growing in their faith and being discipled. At Saddleback for example, being a member means you have to go through a pretty intensive set of classes, commit to meeting weekly in a small group, be a part of at least one ministry, commit to regular study and prayer on your own, commit to tithe sacrificially as an act of worship and obedience, and several other things. Membership isn't taken lightly.

In a lot of cases, the size of the churches is an obvious, visual factor that sets them apart from "regular" churches, but they aren't just fluff. Many of them are big for a reason... because peoples lives are being transformed through them. Some people might come because it is a "happening place" but many more come because they are growing closer to God.

So mabye I a megachurch apologist. I totally get part of what you are saying. You tried it, and you didn't like it. I get that. And for what its worth, the church you went to may be a pretty crappy church... the picture you painted didn't seem like a place I would be all that intersted in being a part of. But don't knock it because it's a megachurch. Knock it because its a sucky church. The two may have nothing to do with each other...

Wow, I just realized I wrote a novel, or at least a dissertation, but I'm not erasing it now so as long as I can figure out how to sumbit it, you have to read the whole thing. Hopefully you have some Tums handy just in case. Peace man,

Geoff