Friday, February 02, 2007

did you hear something?


It's Friday night and I have just returned from perhaps the best concert I have ever been too.

Over.
The.
Rhine.

A group of us Asburians traveled into downtown Lexington to The Dame for what proved to be a great night.

Karin Bergquist's voice is far and away my favorite female voice. Only four songs into an hour and a half long set, she brought the house down. By the time they finished their first hour, I knew I was in the presence of a band who truly loves what they do. You could hear it in the music, see it on their faces, hear it in their banter.

To be honest I am not sure I have been to concert where the band seemed to enjoy what they did more than Over the Rhine. It was refreshing to see a band that wasn't all serious and yet able to bring you through so many emotions with their music. One moment the venue is silent as Karin sings "Drunkard's Prayer," to screaming with joy and abandon at a wicked jam session, closed by a great drum solo.

It was a good time. I needed it. I needed to see people enjoying their jobs--from the band to the road manager to the sound tech, everyone had fun. I hope to be in that position someday, where I truly enjoy what I do.

peace out,
hersch

EDIT: Here is a video of perhaps my favorite song from last night. Sorry to say this isn't from the show last night but this is about how close we were. Sorry for the poor audio quality as well.

4 comments:

Matt W said...

*sigh*

maggie said...

and to think you weren't gonna go....

Herschel said...

you know, its a double-edged sword, because now that i went, i just want to go again. and again.


yikes.

Peter said...

I finally uploaded me some pictures.